I’ve been canvassing the views of authors and publishers involved in e-publishing. But I thought it was about time I heard from the people who really matter, the readers. So I’ve put together a short(ish) questionnaire. It’s really designed for people who have an e-reader of some kind, but I would also be interested in hearing from people who don’t have a kindle (or equivalent). The question for you, I suppose, is are you intending to get one, or will you never succumb?
So here are the questions. Please leave your answers in a comment. Feel free to answer as many or few of the questions as you like. Or if you prefer, just leave a general comment about your views on ebooks. I just want to hear from readers (this includes writers who are also readers, of course!). Thank you!
- What type of ereader do you own? Eg Kindle, Kobo, Sony, iPad, Android… (Are there any others?)
- Do you buy more books overall now that you have an e-reader? Or fewer?
- What was the last ebook you bought and when was that?
- When was the last time you went in a bricks and mortar bookshop?
- How many ebooks do you buy per month? 0-1; 2-4; 5-10; blimey -how many books can you read in a month!? Or “don’t know”.
- Have you stopped buying print books entirely since owning an ereader?
- If no, what is the ratio of ebooks to print books? Mostly ebooks. Mostly print books. About half and half. Don’t know.
- Is there a difference between the type of books you buy as ebooks compared to the print books you are buying? Eg non-fiction for kindle, novels in print?
- Do you ever buy the same book in both print and ebook edition?
- Do you think an ebook should offer an “enhanced reading experience”, eg video clips or audio?
- Do you ever buy self-published ebooks? (If not, why not?)
- Do you ever download free ebooks?
- How much do you expect to pay for an ebook? Would you expect to pay more for an ebook published by an established publishing company than one by a self-publishing author?
- What influences you in buying an ebook? Cover, author, word of mouth, amazon reviews, publisher, price. Anything else?
- Anything else you would like to say about your experience of reading ebooks?